One of the most popular trends I have seen in the last year is Airbnb wedding venues rather than traditional venues. What I love about Airbnb wedding venues is that they can be so unique and allow you to really personalize your wedding.
If you see yourself as the non-traditional couple who like to do things a little differently, then an Airbnb in an epic location might just be perfect for you two. If that’s you, then keep reading as I share some tips and tricks to help you plan your dream wedding or elopement at an Airbnb.
Can you get married at an Airbnb?
Absolutely! But not all Airbnb’s will allow this so it’s important to do your research and know the right things to look for. Every Airbnb is different so the best thing you can do is shop around and really take your time picking the perfect one for your big day.
Airbnb’s can also be used as a place to get ready before the ceremony, a place to stay for your wedding weekend or the perfect option for a smaller reception. There really are so many ways that you could utilize an Airbnb on your big day.
An Airbnb wedding venue really could be the perfect option for your big day instead of the traditional venue. It can be such an amazing option that can create a much more personal and intimate wedding. So, let’s talk about what the most important things are when it comes to booking an Airbnb wedding venue.
6 Important things to Consider when looking at Airbnb Wedding Venues:
1. Does the Airbnb allow weddings?
For obvious reasons, this is definitely the most important step because not all Airbnb’s allow events. It’s best to reach out to the Airbnb host to see if they would allow it. If they agree to it, then definitely get that in writing with a contract so they can’t back out a week before your wedding!
2. How many guests are allowed at the Airbnb?
When you are checking to see if the host allows weddings, also make sure to ask about guest count. If they say yes to the wedding, your next question should be how many guests are permitted on the property at a time.
3. How’s the parking situation?
There’s nothing worse than getting to your destination and having to drive around for 20 minutes to find parking. You definitely don’t want that to be an issue for you or any of your guests. Ensure to ask the host what the parking situation is like and if there is a decent amount of nearby street parking for guests.
4. Is photo and video permitted on the property?
Now this is a big one! Many properties do not permit outside commercial photography or video. So the best thing to do would be to ask the host if photo and video is permitted. The number one thing is to always make sure that you are respectful of the host’s rules. If they don’t allow it, then it’s best to find a different venue.
5. Do the pictures match the actual Airbnb and is it in an ideal location?
While an Airbnb might look one way in photos, it can be very deceiving. I think it’s best to ask the host if you can check out Airbnb before committing to it. For all you know, it could be next to a really loud highway or look absolutely nothing like the pictures.
6. What are the neighborhood noise ordinances? Are the houses in the neighborhood close together?
Make sure to ask the host about the local noise ordinances as well as what the neighborhood is like. Of course it’s your wedding so you want to have fun and play loud music at the reception so it’s best to find out if that would be okay. But, you just want to make sure that you are respectful of the neighbors and the hosts’ wishes.
What are the Pros and Cons of having an Airbnb wedding venue?
- Can be in a super unique and epic location: Airbnb’s are all over the world so the options are really endless for an unforgettable location.
- Very private: Airbnb’s are on their own property so you are typically not dealing with people passing by or making noise.
- Lower Costs: Traditional venues are often very expensive and require you to book them 1-2 years in advance. Airbnbs can be a much more affordable option.
- You can do everything at the Airbnb: Having an Airbnb can be a huge stress reliever on the big day. With an Airbnb wedding you can get ready there, have your ceremony, reception, and a place to sleep all in one location. You can even opt to rent the Airbnb wedding venue for a couple of more days after for an easy and local honeymoon.
- You can choose your own vendors: So many traditional wedding venues require you to use certain vendors, but with an Airbnb that is all up to you. You have the freedom to choose the vendors you feel are the best fit for your dream wedding!
- Limited amount of people allowed: Every Airbnb is different, but depending on the one you choose, odds are they have some sort of guest maximum.
- Not all Airbnbs allow parties: Because of this it may require a little more research and work on your end to find the perfect Airbnb that does allow it.
- Parking: Depending on the amount of guests that you have attending, parking is most likely going to be a big concern. The best thing to do is to make sure you double check what the parking situation is like with the host
Other Important Planning Tips
Location, Location, Location
Make sure that you visit Airbnb before booking to make sure that the description is accurate of the property. It’s also important to make sure that there are some nice local hotels. The last thing you want is to make your guests have to drive 1-2 hours from where they are staying for your wedding.
Consider the Logistics
- Ensure that there is a large deck or lots of flat land for tables.
- Look for a place with adequate indoor space in case the weather doesn’t cooperate.
- Ensure to choose a property that is large enough for the amount of guests that you will have.
- What’s the bathroom situation like compared to the number of guests you are inviting? If needed, you can rent portable restrooms.
- Look into local vendors to ensure that you like what they have to offer and that they are available.
- Is there enough dining space for all of your guests or will you need to rent tables and chairs?
- Make sure there is enough space for both of you to get ready on site.
Find a place with decor that you like!
Finding an Airbnb with decor that you like will make your life 1000 times easier because you won’t have to decorate the whole place. Instead you can add decorations that compliment the Airbnb. Here are some helpful cost saving tips for when it comes to your wedding decor.
- Keep it simple especially if it is a smaller space.
- Consider checking out your local thrift stores for unique decorations and tableware rather than purchasing brand new stuff.
- You could rent/ borrow decorations from friends or local vendors rather than buying.
- Don’t be afraid to DIY some stuff like making your own table placement cards or flower bouquets!
6 Airbnb Wedding Venues that could be perfect for your Vancouver Island wedding
Vancouver Island is such a stunning place for a wedding or elopement and it offers tons of options for Airbnb wedding venues. Here are some of my favorite Airbnb’s on Vancouver Island to give you some inspiration for your wedding or elopement.
Luxury Oceanfront House – The Cove at Otter Point
WONDERLAND Adventure Home – UNIQUE STAY!
Massive Home On Shawnigan Lake | 6 Bedrooms!
Sunset Island- the island you can drive onto
Ready to Plan your Airbnb wedding?
If you’ve read through this blog and have realized that an Airbnb wedding is exactly what you want to do, then I would love to help. I’ve lived on Vancouver Island my whole life and I love nothing more than being a part of couple’s weddings here.
I offer both wedding photography and videography here on Vancouver Island and I would love nothing more than to capture this magical day for you.
I am so ready to capture your jaw dropping at your Vancouver Island wedding! Are you?
If you said yes, then let’s do it! You can fill out my contact form and give me all the details so we can get you one step closer to your dreamy wedding. I am so excited to hear from you and make your dream wedding photos a reality!